By Ashley Devonish | Category: Favorite Lists, Hot New Finds, New Products, Products, The Journey of Motherhood | Posted Friday, November 1, 2013
I am pretty excited about our recent addition to Mom 4 Life. They are umbilical cord bodysuits which allow the baby’s umbilical cord to dry properly. The product is called Assessables and they were invented by a mom nurse. How brilliant! I know with me being a new mom, I definitely would have used this product. I was always paranoid about clothes rubbing my sons cord when he was born. It is basically a soft long sleeve onsie that has a hole cut out around the umbilical cord.
This also would have been helpful to me when my son got a herniated belly button. Basically his belly button swell up to about the size of a quarter. It was not cute! And I would just not put any clothes on him because I was afraid it would rub against the belly button and hurt him.
One of my cousins just had a baby boy and I am super eager to give him one of these onsies as a gift to see how he likes it. Let me know if you think this is a great product; would love to hear your comments.
and if you would like to buy one you can get one HERE.
By Ashley Devonish | Category: Creating a Home, Family Focus, Favorite Lists, Hot New Finds, Surprize Me!, The Journey of Motherhood | Posted Friday, October 11, 2013
So on Wednesday I posted my favorite fall finds for boys and now its the girls turn. I hope to one day have a daughter to dress!
So much fun looking for little girl clothes!
By Ashley Devonish | Category: Family Focus, Favorite Lists, Hot New Finds, Surprize Me!, The Journey of Motherhood | Posted Wednesday, October 9, 2013
I know I have mentioned this before but my husband is an amazing dresser. So for him (and I guess me too) it is important that we pass on this fabulous sense of style on to our son Dominic. Although sometimes I think it would incredibly hilarious if he grew up to be a carefree hippie who could care less about clothes and fashion.
Here are some of my favorite fall finds for toddler boys (girl favorites post will be on Friday)
Duck Boots (I wish it got cold enough here for these)
(perfect for fall weather before Winter)
Basically I love everything right now at The Gap and H&M. They have some really adorable stuff right now.
By Ashley Devonish | Category: Family Focus, Favorite Lists, Hot New Finds, It Worked 4 Me, New Products, Products, The Journey of Motherhood | Posted Friday, October 4, 2013
I am so blessed to be able to say that I was successfully able to breastfeed my son for 9 months. At 9 months, my son really weened himself. He was eating more food (he is an amazing eater!) and really only wanted to breastfeed at night. So we did that for a few months and then when we switched to milk, that was it. I can honestly say I loved breastfeeding. That is not to say it was not without its challenges. The first two weeks of breastfeeding was brutal. Everyday I was seconds away from quitting. It is a huge time commitment, very painful (in the beginning) and it can become very overwhelming. So with the help of one of my greatest friends and new mom, Debbie Hester, we came up with a nursing essentials list to help all moms.
- A nursing pillow is super helpful. It props the baby up and keeps your arms and hands free. This one shown above is amazing! It’s the San Diego Bebe Eco- Nursing Pillow. It actually has a detachable privacy cover that you can use if you are out and about or if you have company over and don’t want to expose yourself. They also have a pillow for twin babies!
- Nursing bras/tanks – Must haves in the first several weeks when you are nursing around the clock. You will live in these. My favorites are the Skinies Slimming Nursing Cami which allows you to nurse while still having coverage. And they act as a slimming garment! Who doesn’t need that! Another favorite would be Glamourmom Long Tanks because they are super soft.
- A robe or comfortable lounging clothes with easy access – For the early days when you pretty much nurse around the clock and middle of the night feedings. I think buying something that you use even after nursing is the way to go here. This one is really cute. Its called Steal My Heart.
- Nursing cover – For nursing out in public or discreetly with guests at the hospital/at home. I love the great prints available by Bebe Au Lait.
- Nursing pads – Lilypadz are amazing! They are silicone nursing pads that are reusable and soft. They are thin and breathable but still prevent leaking. If you prefer a disposable kind. The best ones I have found are the Lansinoh Super soft Disposable Pads
- Nipple butter – I did not use a nipple butter but my good friend, Debbie, loves Earth Mama Angel Baby. She especially loves that she don’t have to wipe it off before nursing. And its natural!
- Breast pump – These are great so that you can store milk. Once I went back to work, this was my best friend. Even though pumping was not my favorite thing to do (I found it very boring and tedious) but this pump really did do a great job and I have no compliants. Medela Pump In Style.
- Medela favorites – The Medela Pump and Save bags are great. You can see exactly how much is in the bag. The next is thing from Medela is the nipple shield. This thing saved my life! In the beginning my nipples were so sore that I had to use this shield and it gave my nipples a break. I know some people say once they used it, their babies wouldn’t take the naked breast, but I never had that problem. The last product is probably my favorite. The Medela quick clean bags are amazing. They make cleaning super easy. I would throw all of my pacifiers, pumping stuff, bottles, etc… in this bag, microwave it for like 3 minutes and everything is sanitized. Super easy! and if you travel, you can easily take these with you.
- Quick wipes for breasts – Nuk Breast Wipes are great for freshening up after feeding. They are food grade, so they are safe for baby
- A Mommy Necklace – its keeps the baby engaged and gives them something to play with. I found this helpful the older my son got with nursing.
- A storage caddy – I needed a way to tote around all my essentials so that they weren’t spread out all over the nightstand or living room. These caddies by 3 Sprout are so cute.
- Breast Therapy Pads – Your breast go through a lot! They need some pampering. These are great, can be used hot or cold. The little soft pearl beads feel so soothing.
Finally some last minute tips for breastfeeding: Keep a huge thing of water with you at all times, always have granola bars or snacks around to keep your energy levels up and because sometimes breastfeeding can get lonely and boring, keep your cell phone/Ipad or TV near by.
Breastfeeding really is one of the best gifts we can give our babies. I completely understand what a challenge it can be and I hope our suggestions make it a little easier. And remember no matter how long you are able to breastfeed, something is better than nothing at all!
By lelaknows | Category: Hot New Finds, Meet the mom inventor | Posted Wednesday, November 16, 2011
As you know, at Mom 4 Life we are all about helping moms find the best product out there to meet their needs. So when I was introduced to Fanny and Carla and the brand new company they have started, I knew you should meet them too. You see, their website is pretty stinking cool. I will let them tell you all about it and then I would encourage you to hop over and take it for a test drive!
Hello, we’re Fanny and Carla, co-founders of a new technology company called Lela. We started Lela because we felt that shopping for baby products can often be confusing and overwhelming. And it’s easy to make the wrong decision. Fanny went through several different stroller models, before she found the one that worked for her. She researched hundreds of strollers, and read all the reviews – but there just wasn’t an easy way to find the right stroller for her. And trial-and-error was an expensive way to find it!
With a new baby, you don’t even have time to sleep – let alone spend hours browsing through a gazillion options, wondering which stroller (or crib, or car seat, etc) is the right one, before you plunk down hundreds of dollars.
So, for the sake of all the moms out there who might feel the same way, we decided to do something about it.